When we envision a clean home, we often think of shiny bathrooms, crisp clean windows and freshly made beds. The truth is there is a lot more to a clean healthy home than simple housekeeping.

Many family homes (especially older ones) are filled with a huge variety of allergens and toxins, some have been there since the home was built. If you do not take the time to check these on a regular basis, the results can be fatal. You will be surprised to learn that some of these toxins are something you and your family have been breathing for years totally unaware of their harmful effects.

Formaldehyde

  • Did you know that formaldehyde gas emits from cushions, particle boards and adhesives used to manufacture wood-based products? Carpets may also emit formaldehyde, causing eye and respiratory irritation.

Radon

  • Radon gas is a natural radioactive gas that can seep into homes through unsealed cracks in the basement, surrounding foundations and well water. It enters the body quietly through the air passages and is the second leading cause of respiratory illness.

Lead

  • Lead has always been a concern because many people have become ill (often fatal) from it. Lead was a major ingredient found in paints used in homes, schools and offices. Although this is no longer the case, the lead from some older paints still reside in homes today. Lead levels once thought to be acceptable are now considered known contributors to learning disabilities and child behavioural problems. Lead is mostly found residing in the paint in older homes, old plumbing and soil that exists near busy highways and busy roads because of passing motor vehicules. Lead poisoning causes neurological damage, kidney damage, high blood pressure, and is said to have a connection with reproductive problems.

Carbon monoxide

  • This silent deadly gas will kill an estimated 1000 people this year. A well documented hazard, this gas has caused many people to be concerned enough to purchase carbon monoxide detectors. These detectors will sound an alarm if the levels in your home become unsafe and they have saved many lives. This is an absolute must have if you have a fireplace in your home as carbon monoxide can be caused from the smoke in chimneys.

Solvents: Disinfectants – Pesticides:

These are items we use on a daily basis to clean and protect our homes, all are hazardous especially if not stored properly. Chlordane, aldrin, dieldrin, though all banned for nearly two decades, continue to show up airborne in older houses from some of these products.

The most dangerous list of known toxins pales in comparison to volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs consists of hundreds of natural and man-made, carbon-based agents that react with other carbon-based compounds, and evaporate easily, making them toxic. VOCs can be found in disinfectants. paints and pesticides.

To protect your family from these harmful toxins, make sure you change your air filters, purchase radon and carbon dioxide detectors, use air filtration systems and purchase eco safe products such as low VOC paints and biodegrable house cleaners. Limit the use of carpets in your home and make sure to open your doors and windows often to recirculate the air within.

These are only a few things you can do to keep your home safe, clean and toxic free. Sonya’s cleaning crew can offer you tips to make your home cleaner, safer and more enjoyable for the entire family. Contact us today for good clean advice!